Monday, July 22, 2013

God Helps His Missionaries

Some people wonder why the Church sends 18 and 19 year old young people out to teach the people of the world, and are amazed by their success. I have been asked if I am nervous or worried about serving a mission. Especially since I will be teaching people in Portuguese, which I have never studied before these past few months, and which I am certainly not fluent in. To be honest, I am a little nervous. I know it will be the hardest experience of my life thus far, and the most difficult thing I have ever done. But, I have faith that it will all be okay because I am on God's side. If I put in my part, He will make up the rest. I will never be left alone or unable to do God's will if I am willing to serve Him with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. It is said that the fullness of the gospel will be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world. I certainly am not qualified on my own to teach and serve others in this way. But, God will work with my weaknesses and my inexperience to make me a strong, powerful teacher and example to others. As far as the language goes, God has promised that “every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power”. I know that the Spirit of God will be with me as I speak, and that my mind will be enlightened to teach and speak the words which God would have me speak. There is no way that I would be able to fluently teach lessons to native Portuguese speakers with only a few months of studying behind me on my own. The Spirit of God most certainly is with the missionaries to guide them and help them. Through this power, I will be made an instrument in the hands of God to teach others and bring them to the truth. It is a humbling thought that God trusts me enough to go out and teach His children in Brazil and to follow His Spirit to be able to communicate with them. I am so grateful for this special call to serve Him, and am excited to get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment