Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week 2 at the MTC

Oi! Tudo bem?

This week was so much better than the first! I mean, harder of course, but I am a lot more used to the schedule and things like that so I know it is a challenge that I can manage. Everything is going great. We finished up teaching our first investigator, "'Pedro'', who decided to be baptized! It was pretty cool, even if it is a pretend investigator. So this week we have two new "investigators", but it is just going to be our teachers pretending to be people that they taught on their missions or that they know now. We met with one of them yesterday and it was so hard because he is a less-active member of the church who has had drug and addiction problems in the past. We asked him to pray at the end of the lesson and he told us he didn't feel worthy. That just makes me so sad! Everyone is worthy to pray whenever, and it is especially important to pray when you are feeling like you don't want to. We helped him to feel more comfortable praying though.

The language is coming along. I am actually doing pretty well with it compared to others in my district, mostly because my Spanish knowledge is helping a LOT. I didn't realize how much I remembered! I love Portuguese and I am so excited for that day when I can just communicate and understand without thinking. No word on any of our visas, but that's ok! I love my district so much already, even just after 2 weeks. They are becoming some of my best friends. The elders are from Las Vegas, Texas, Utah, South Dakota, New Mexico, and Florida, and then the other sisters are from Texas, California, Montana, Oregon, and Colorado. They are so fun and we really help each other and love spending time learning together.

On Sundays, we have some free time to spend watching church films. Our district decided to watch a devotional given by David Bednar called the "Character of Christ". I don't know if it is online, but I would highly recommend trying to read it or watch it somehow. He emphasized that Christ was loving and serving at all times, and that He always turned outward, especially at the hardest times in His life. Turning outward in service will help us to grow and become less selfish, which believe it or not, will actually make us happier. Mom and Dad, I'm so excited for you to be teaching those Primary kids. I substituted for that class once, and they are definitely rambunctious, but so smart and eager to learn. Try to help them and be patient with them. Primary is a special experience. Bednar also emphasized that although you may have a testimony of something, that testimony could be shaken. In order to not be shaken in your testimony, you have to continually cultivate it until it becomes true conversion. Prayer, scripture study, and trying to do the best you can each day will help to make dealing with the trials of life so much easier. I know that this church is true and that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can repent and be forgiven and relieved of our sins and burdens. I'm so grateful I have this knowledge, and I can't wait to teach more people about it.

Te amo muito!
Sister Dieter

No comments:

Post a Comment